So, if you are like me…. You have a hard time dealing with changes when it comes to Windows. After taking forever to finally migrate to Windows 7, I recently bought a new laptop with Windows 8.
Originally, I had planned on downgrading this new laptop to Windows 7.
After some discussion with my buddy Lefty, I have decided to keep it and at least give it a shot. Following some of my buddy’s advice, I am up and running on Windows 8.
Note that some programs may differ on your system, depending on the manufacturer.
1. First thing, plug it in and turn on.
2. Search internet on another system for kinda obscure way to setup computer without making account with Microsoft – there is a way!…doing it because I only want to be tracked by google and not have my email data-mined by Microsoft – being snooped on by one company (and the government, of course) is enough.
To get around the Microsoft account, click on “Create a new account” as seen below.
Then you will need to click on “Sign in without a Microsoft account” as seen below.
3. Once finished with initial setup – now to loose the “stupid”.
4. Download Classic Shell and install – set it to boot directly to the desktop. Metro blows big time! Now I have a real start menu again – 60% of stupid gone!
5. Download Firefox and install – set as default browser. IE sucks – buggy – 10% more of stupid gone!
6. Uninstall office 365 trial version – I do not want to let Microsoft read all of my documents for data mining purposes in order to sell me crap (don’t laugh or be amazed, Google docs and Gmail do the same thing)…and I’m not going to pay a yearly subscription fee to access my docs and edit them – Up yours Microsoft! – 10% more stupid gone!
7. Open Windows (File) Explorer, press alt-key, on the View Ribbon (part of the Stupid that can be removed, see #8) click Options. On the Options Dialog that pops-up under the General tab – check “show all folders” and check “automatically expand to current folder”. Now select the View tab – check “always show menus”, check “display full path in title bar” and UNcheck “hide extensions for know file types”(one of my biggest pet peeves!). – Click Apply at the bottom of the Dialog. – 5% more stupid gone!
8. Note: you can never get more than 90% of stupid removed from Microsoft products – it’s built in too deep!
9. Now it’s time to loose the “FAT”.
10. Uninstall Pokki – I don’t care what it is, it’s gone.
11. Uninstall Wildtangent – Adware games and crap, useless, gone.
12. Uninstall Symantec Norton Anti-*whatever* or McAfee *whatever*- It might actually work nowadays, I don’t know and don’t care, buggy and bloated, gone!
13. Uninstall Amazon 1-button app – Why? Website still works in Firefox, right? – not using metro apps anyway – useless bloat-crap ware, gone.
14. Run Windows Update. Twice – just to make sure it’s completely up-to-date.
15. Download AVG Antivirus and install. Why pay for something when there are other options that work. It’s free and works great. I have been using it for almost 10 years with no problem.
16. Download Malwarebytes and install.
17. Install office suite, take your pick Libreoffice, OpenOffice, Microsoft 2003, 2007, 2010, even 2013, etc.
18. Copy files from old system to new system…don’t forget to save backup!
19. Enjoy new system!